When do we use the going to-future?
The going to-future is one future tense. There are other future tenses, e.g. will-future, Present Progressive, Future Progressive/Continuous and Simple Present.
Use of the going to-future
1. planned actions in the future
Here we talk about intentions, or a decision that has already been made for the immediate future
- We are going to get a new car soon.
- I am going to buy somethings at the shops. Do you need anything?
2. You are certain that something is going to happen in the future.
Here we make a prediction about the future based on present evidence
- Look at those black clouds! It is going to rain soon.
- She is going to have a baby.
3. Signal words
There are no unambiguous signal words for this tense, although anything with a future meaning can be used, i.e: tomorrow, next year, later on etc.,
to be (am, are, is) + going to + infinitive
5.1. Affirmative sentences in the going to-future
5.2. Negative sentences in the going to-future
5.3. Questions in the going to-future
Do not mix up with the Present Continuous!